Victorian Lockdown – What tradies need to know


After a steep rise in Covid-19 cases overnight and more than 150 exposure sites listed on the Health Departments website, The Victorian State Government has just announced a snap seven-day lockdown will come into effect from 11.49 pm tonight, Thursday 27th May.

Here are all the details you need to know.


Lockdown Rules:

  • Lockdown starts 11.49pm Thursday 27th May, ends at 11.59pm on June 3 (Regional Victoria) or Thursday June 10 (Melbourne Metro)
  • Lockdown rules apply to the whole state of Victoria, including regional areas
  • Face masks will be mandatory inside and outdoors, except in your own home unless you have an exemption
  • Schools will close and revert to remote learning, childcare will remain open
  • No public or private gatherings – intimate partners or caregiving is allowed
  • Cafes, Restaurants and Pubs will be takeaway only
  • If you can work from home, you must work from home


Allowed to leave home for:

  • Shopping for food and supplies – limited to one person a day for every household, must stay within a 5km radius of home or closest venue.
  • Exercise within 5km of home for a maximum of 2hrs per day with one other person
  • Caregiving
  • Work – if working from home is not possible
  • To get vaccinated

COVID-19 vaccinations will be opened up to all Victorians aged 40 and above from tomorrow. You can find a list of COVID-19 vaccination centers in Victoria here alternatively you can book an appointment at a vaccination center by calling 1800 675 398.



  • All building and construction will remain open, including residential and non-residential for unoccupied premises and new builds
  • Service and maintenance – Emergency services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises are allowed
  • Non-urgent renovations, building inspections on homes are not allowed unless critical for safety reasons
  • Locksmith’s, commercial cleaners are allowed to operate
  • Landscaping and Painters are only allowed to operate on an active building or construction project or are for essential maintenance.
  • Face masks will be mandatory inside and outdoors, except in your own home unless you have an exemption
  • The physical distancing rule of 1.5meters applies between workers or one person per four square metres
  • Worksites require a COVIDsafe plan, signage and QR Code contact tracing measures


Small, non-urgent, domestic work will not be permitted. Authorised workers will not require a worker permit or employment letter to operate.

If you or one of your workers is required to self-isolate while waiting for a coronavirus test result can apply for $450 Coronavirus Test Isolation Payment. Those who can’t go to work and earn income because they are required to self-isolate or quarantine can access the $1,500 Pandemic Leave Payment.


 **LATEST UPDATE TO LOCKDOWN RULES via Master Builders Association of Victoria**

From 11.59 pm, Thursday, 3 June 2021, services that operate solely outdoors where physical distancing can be maintained at all times is permitted for up to five people (with an additional supervisor) for businesses with an ABN:

• Outdoor maintenance, repairs, cleaning and other building work, including at occupied premises.
• Home renovations and installations (outdoor only)
• Home solar panel installations (only for outdoor work or in roof cavities with external access).

Emergency indoor repairs and maintenance are permitted; however, workers must wear face masks and have no contact with residents.

Essential repairs and maintenance at an occupied property are permitted. Strict health measures are required, and workers must wear face masks and have no contact with residents.


Authorised Workers List – Trade Related

Any person who performs work that is essential for the continued operation of:

  • Essential infrastructure and essential services that are required to maintain or protect human health, safety and wellbeing (whether provided by a public or private undertaking), and including construction, maintenance and repair of such infrastructure
  • Critical repairs to any premises where required for emergency or safety
  • domestic and commercial waste and resource recovery services (including collection, treatment and disposal services and transfer stations), including: electricity services; operation of energy systems; gas services; water supply, sewerage and drainage services
  • services to support ongoing provision and regulation of electricity, gas, water, sewage and waste and recycling services and their maintenance
  • Mining services including coal mining, oil and gas extraction, metal ore mining, non-metallic mineral mining, and quarrying petroleum production,
  • Building and construction services
  • Organisations that provide urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises; Example: the performance of emergency plumbing services
  • The conduct of essential adult education services pertaining to the following occupations and activities for training and assessment for infection control, high-risk work licenses and high-risk work credentials and construction induction (white card), that ensure workplace and public safety in permitted work premises or for permitted workers; apprentices training with an Authorised Provider or Authorised Worker
  • Services related to property settlement or commencement/end-of-lease (including removalists); (electrical inspections under the tenancy act),
  • All manufacturing.
  • Union/peak body/employer organisation officials attending a worksite as permitted by law or for Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) advice


South Australia, Tasmania, and Western Australia have all shut their border to Victorians, the Queensland border will close to Victorians from 1am on Friday 28th May. New South Wales border remains open at this stage.

Further Resources:


continue reading

related posts

Marketing Mythbusters

Uncover the truth about digital marketing in our myth-busting session for tradies. We’ll dispel common misconceptions and offer practical advice to boost your business’s online

Read Article >

Need a hand finding the right app for your business?

Complete the form below, and we’ll be in touch to discuss your options.