The Western Australian state government has launched its latest financial incentive to the trades and construction sector aimed at building and maintaining a skilled workforce. The new Apprenticeship Re-engagement Incentive is a one-off payment of $6000 to employers who take on a displaced apprentice in WA.
This $6000 financial incentive is available to employers who hire a WA apprentice whose training contract was terminated on or after March 1, 2020. This follows the recent announcement by the State Government that they would also cover the training costs for more than 3,000 apprentices and trainees, who have had their contracts cancelled or suspended, to allow them to continue their ‘off the job’ training for up to six months.
The Apprenticeship Re-engagement Incentive is available now through the Department of Training and Workforce Development until June 30, 2021. The new Out of Contract Register has been established as a helpful search tool where employers can easily locate apprentices currently searching for work. WA Jobs and Skills Centres and Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) providers also use the register to help connect employers with displaced apprentices searching for employment.
“By providing these financial incentives, we are backing our local businesses to take on displaced apprentices and trainees to ensure our future workers have the technical and practical skills to meet the immediate needs of the workforce.” Premier Mark McGowan
Apprentice Re-engagement Incentive:
- $6,000 incentive for WA employers who take on a displaced apprentice
- Applicable to any apprentice whose training contract was terminated on, or after, March 1, 2020
- This incentive is available until June 30, 2021.
Can be used in conjunction with:
- The Jobs and Skills WA Employer Incentive of up to $8,500
- All WA State Government COVID-19 financial support measures for businesses
- CTF financial support for the building and construction industry
- Commonwealth wage subsidy for apprentices, up to $21,000
For more information on the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Re-engagement Incentive, visit http://www.jobsandskills.wa.gov.au/reengagementincentive or call the Apprenticeship Office Helpline on 13 19 54.